Not too long ago my friend Becky from Week 99er posted an amazing recipe for Gluten Free Homemade Bacon Topped Chocolate Cupcakes. It intrigued me.
If you are living a gluten free lifestyle, Week 99er has TONS of Gluten Free Recipes. I recommend you check her out – she has this recipe in a Gluten Free version also (:
While I’m rambling on, you should know I’ve never made homemade cupcakes before. This was a first for me. OMG it was so easy and it was so much better than boxed mix.
This recipe is 100% homemade – meaning I also made my own frosting. Again, thanks Becky!
This recipe makes 24 cupcakes.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tspn Vanilla Extract
- 1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 tspn baking soda
- 1/4 tspn salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 375*
2. Cream butter & sugar together until light & fluffy.
3. Add egg & vanilla.
4. In separate bowl, mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture.
5. Add milk and water to mixture – mix well.
6. Spray muffin tins with baking spray or line with cupcake liners – fill 2/3rds full; bake for 13-15 minutes.
7. Let cool for 10 minutes before frosting.
- 8 tbspn butter; softened
- 1/2 tspn vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tbspn baking cocoa
1. Mix together butter & vanilla.
2. Add sugar and cocoa; mix well.
Fry up your bacon while the cupcakes are cooling. When everything is cooled; frost cupcakes. Cut each slice of bacon into 3 pieces. Top each cupcake with 1 chunk of bacon. Enjoy!
I cooked my bacon in the oven.
I don’t use cupcake liners.
Cooking times vary so start with the lowest cooking time & add 1 minute extra as needed.
You can make white frosting by omitting the baking cocoa.
I used my stand mixer & a whisk.
Feel free to pin, tweet & share on Facebook.
Let me know if you have any questions!